Thursday, October 3, 2013

Connor's Grade 8 Tech Project - Soma Cube

Connor chose to make a Soma Cube which is a kind of puzzle made up of smaller cubes, which when put together create one large cube.  There are apparently 240 different solutions for putting the puzzle together.

First Connor had to create 27 individual cubes which he made using a cube template and coloured cardboard I had lurking in my craft cupboard. He then glued cubes together to make up the 7 puzzle pieces.

When I gave the solution a go, I had to use the instructions we found on the internet, yet Connor managed to put it all together in a matter of seconds.  He did it differently everytime without a moments hesitation.  Clearly I'm not as logical as I thought.

Soma Cube:

http://www.mathematische-basteleien.de/somacube.htm 

Cube Template:

www.rovingbandofmisfits.com  



No comments:

Post a Comment